Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Happy Birthday Andy!

Today is Andy's 1st birthday! I am so excited despite the fact that there is what seems like a monsoon outside. Never mind the fact that we live in an entirely different part of the world where monsoons don't actually occur. The day I went into labor with Andy was a beautiful, warm spring day...

Saturday May 3rd

I had to work an insanely busy Saturday morning shift at Anchor Bank. By the time the four hours were over I was ready for a long nap and a relaxing day. But instead, I threw a baby shower for my friend Stefani who was due in June. So I trudged my large belly and swollen feet over to the party host's home and began to prepare the food and games for all the guests. I threw a successfully fun baby shower and waddled my way home, but there was no time for relaxing. We had relatives (maybe it was just Dan and Gramps) in town and dinner was planned at my parent's home for any of us that could make it, which was pretty much all of us, Dennis included. After an evening of eating, talking, joking, and laughing hysterically Chris and Josh took my weary body home where we all (ok, maybe it was just me) fell into bed since it was late and we wanted to get up for church the next morning.

Sunday May 4th

After spending many months attending different churches and deciding that our family's best "fit" was at Five Oaks, Chris and I signed up to take the Discovery class which happened to fall on that Sunday. He had already been a member of Five Oaks in the past but he attended the class with me so that I could get the information I needed about the church. We enjoyed the class and the lunch following and discussed what we should do with the rest of the day. I was in need of a little weight relief so we decided to head to the pool at the community center and it felt wonderful to let the water take some of the pressure off my body. As I was floating around the edge of the pool Chris asked if I would be able to feel if my water broke while I was in the water. I answered that I wasn't sure but that it would be really crazy if it did. We may have mentioned that it would be kind of gross and possibly laughed about it.
I was soon ready to get out of the water so I watched Josh play as I dried off. Chris took off for the men's room to sit in the sauna. I hadn't even dried off completely when I felt a small gush. I stopped and thought to myself, "Is that what I think it is or did I just pee on myself?" I began walking back to our chairs when I felt that telltale gush again. And again. I quickly gathered our towels and toys, called Josh, and told him to go into the men's room and ask Chris to come out. As soon as Chris appeared I explained to him that my water had broken adding, "Ironic, huh?"
His response was, "We've gotta go!" That was at around 6pm.
We went home and as I packed up my suitcase, Chris packed up the refrigerator. We had just prepared some meals and didn't want to waste them. Soon we were on our way to the hospital after dropping Josh off at my parents. The IV was inserted to deliver antibiotics for Group B Strep and we waited for the contractions to get harder and closer together. It didn't take long before I became very uncomfortable.

Monday May 5

I decided to take a warm bath but I wasn't in there long before Andy decided he was ready to come out. And if you ask Chris, there is a discrepancy in our stories that I treated him poorly when he couldn't understand my whispering that I didn't want any more water and I shoved the shower head out of his hand. He also freaked out when I squeezed his thumb and groaned that I needed help. He thought I was dying but I just wanted drugs.
Anyway, I made it to the delivery bed but let's just say Andy was close to being born in the bathtub. At least I was at the hospital and not at home!
Andy was born at 12:48am weighing 7lb 4oz and 19 1/4 inches long. We found out he was a boy at that moment but we didn't have a name picked out for him yet. In fact, we didn't choose his name for at least 12 hours or longer. There were too many to choose from. We liked Alexander, Lucas, and Ryan as well but we gave him the name Andrew John.
If you go back to this post, you will notice that there seems to be a common denominator that sends me into labor every time (well, only twice, but still!). Dan and Dennis inducing fits of hysterical laughter mere hours before I go into labor. Coincidence? I think not! I think it's all part of God's humor.

Andy has redefined my role as a mom since he became another "firstborn" in my life. Andy is very active and doesn't sit still for anything. He is full of joy and laughter and loves music and singing. He sings with Daddy and sings with the radio in my car when I pick him up from Grandma's. He loves throwing his toys on the floor and saying, "Uh-Oh."
This first year has been a challenge but also a joy as we have watched his little personality emerge and and as he starts the journey to become the person God created him to be.

Lord, thank you for the sweet blessing of Andy. Thank you for making me his mommy. Help me to be a light that leads him to You. Thank You for all you have done for Andy and for all the plans and blessings You have stored up for him. My most earnest prayer is that he chooses to follow You for the rest of his days. Please watch over him and make Yourself real to him. Thank You Lord.

Andy shares a birthday with his Great-Uncle Dennis and his second cousin Isaiah who was born on the exact same day. Happy Birthday Dennis and Isaiah! Happy Birthday Andy!

No comments: