Monday, March 2, 2009

Scripture

It's time to add a verse to the memorization project. Since I am doing the entire passage from Psalm 139, I will add verse 5:

1 O LORD, you have searched me and you know me 2You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.

3You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. 4Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O LORD.

5You hem me in-behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me.

________________________________________________________

So much has happened this last week or so...

We've canceled our membership to the community center. We got a Wii and a Wii Fit about a month ago so I plan on doing my workouts from Yoga to Aerobics with it. It was getting really hard to get back to the community center to workout when I was there working in the morning so it will be easier to play on the Wii at home. Chris plans on joining a local fitness center which is a bit cheaper and much closer. We will also visit sometimes to play in the pool but just pay the day rate.

We've also canceled our telephone service since we don't use it very often. In fact, we go for days without a call. We are now using our iPhones exclusively but we were almost doing that already. The iPhone has been so nice to have. I have been able to look up directions and phone numbers to various places when I am lost or need some extra information. I have access to recipes on the go and I can even make my grocery list on it according to how the aisles in my grocery store are set up. Amazing time-saving stuff! Umm...I guess now I have to actually figure out how to set that up.

One more thing we canceled was our cable. We still have the basic cable so that we can get reception and, from what I understand, we need it for the new digital streaming. Oh, now I'm pretending to be technical? I really have absolutely no idea about any of it! Anyway, Josh was spending so much time in front of the TV and I know I am responsible for turning it off and asking him to find something else to do but, honestly, I don't have the energy to fight that battle. We now can order shows and movies online so I can better control what he is watching and how much. In fact, he watched a mom-approved movie on my laptop yesterday instead of watching a gazillion hours of Sponge Bob which is questionable at best and downright obnoxious at worst.

So since we have cancelled all of these we are saving over $130 a month and plan to put that in savings and pay off some debt.

(insert screeching halt noise)

On Wednesday, with our best laid plans to save money and pay some bills, my car broke down on my way to work. At 4:30 in the morning. It turns out that the motor needs to be taken apart and the lifter replaced and some threads re-threaded and some strong chemicals poured in or over something but all I could manage to understand of car-speak is that it is going to cost around $750. Yikes! And that is with the HOPE that it will work. HOPE people! Well, I am hoping and praying!

But that is nothing. Only material and trivial.

On Monday of last week my grandfather was diagnosed with esophageal cancer. He was having trouble eating and went to the doctor to have his esophagus expanded. The doctor inserted the tool down his throat and ran into a mass. It was unexpected but it seems as though it was caught early and can be removed with surgery and radiation if they can't get it all out. It has been scary and sad. I am not sure how to explain it, but if his time on earth were through and God was to call him Home, I would be excited for him. The love of his life has gone before him and he would be able to meet Jesus face to face. I have no doubt God would gaze upon him and proclaim "Well done, My good and faithful servant!" But right now the outcome looks good.
Gramps turned 78 on the day of his diagnosis but has always seemed much younger. He works as an usher for the Chicago Cubs (his all-time favorite team since he was a whipper-snapper), runs a contracting business with my uncle, and loves to work on projects around our homes. He personally built our deck, laid our kitchen and bathroom floors, installed our kitchen cupboards and appliances, and is currently drawing up plans to finish and remodel our basement, all within the last three years. And that is only my home! I dearly love the man and hope that he has at least 20 more healthy years with us here, but it really is in God's hands and He has the ultimate best-laid plans for Gramps, and the rest of us for that matter.

This is Gramps holding Andy in the hospital. Handsome fellas!

Speaking of Andy, he's had a nasty cold and cough for a couple of weeks now so I decided to take him in today to see if there was something more to it and, sure enough, he has developed a double ear infection. Poor little guy! So hopefully he will start to feel better once we get some antibiotics in his system. He did manage to charm all the ladies in the office, though, despite feeling miserable. Lord, please help us all!

No comments: