Friday, November 7, 2008

Pumpkin Turkey Chili

Lately I have been trying to cook more at home so that we don't go out so often. It is usually healthier and more affordable. I happen to stumble across recipes online or from others blogs. This one I found from a blog called Fordy Days And Nights and I believe the recipe was adapted from another blog. It doesn't sound very appetizing but it is so good! I made it for my family last night and it was a hit. Even JD liked it. He wasn't so sure about the pumpkin but it wasn't recognizable at all. Give it a try!

Pumpkin Turkey Chili
1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb ground turkey
2 cans diced tomatoes (14.5 oz)
1 can whole kernel corn, drained (14.5 oz)
1 can cannellini beans, drained (14.5)
2 cups pumpkin puree (canned pumpkin)
3 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp cayenne
2 tsp brown sugar
salt and pepper to taste
Toppings: shredded cheddar and sour cream
  1. In dutch oven or similar pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook until tender, about five minutes.
  2. Add turkey and break up with spatula as it browns. Once it is evenly browned, mix in tomatoes, corn, beans, and pumpkin.
  3. Season with the next six ingredients.
  4. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about one hour.

This makes a thick chili. To make it soupier, add chicken broth until of desired thickness.

Top chili with sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese. EnJOY!

I think I will make this for my extended family at our weekend Christmas Party. We have started a tradition of a chili feed and this will be a new addition. We make the same kind every year in a huge pot but I will bring some of this for the more adventurous palettes. There are definitely some of those in my family.

Go, eat your food with gladness, and drink your wine with a JOYful heart, for it is now that God favors what you do. Ecclesiastes 9:7

No comments: